Road to the National Championship

Who Will Survive and Win It All?

You are not connected. Please login or register

Exciting Game in Berkley

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Exciting Game in Berkley on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:24 am

I'll try and come back and do a more in depth recap later.

Purdue would take a 10-0 lead at halftime as both defenses were relentless in the contest only allowing a combined total of 345 yards offense all game long, with Purdue holding a slight edge 180-165. The Bears though would fight back in front of their home crowd and all would start with the defense. LB David Wilkerson would intercept a Rob Henry pass and take it 56 yards to cut the score to 10-7 and give the Bears their first points of the game.

Purdue would answer shortly after with Webster's second FG of the game to extend the lead to 13-7 heading into the fourth quarter. The Golden Bears offense would catch many breaks on their next drive, including a 4th down conversion just inside the opponents 40 yard line, to give themselves a chance to take the lead. Maynard would drop back and find WR Terrance Montgomery on an 18-yard strike to put the Bears up 14-13 after the PAT. Once again the Cal defense would come through as they would force the Boilermakers to give up the ball (can't remember if by punt or turnover on downs, I believe it was a punt). For one of the few times all game, Cal was able to sufficiently move the ball and force the Purdue defense to use all three timeouts. After getting a first down inside the redzone, Cal would proceed to milk to remaining time off the clock and escape with another close win. The Golden Bears start the season off 2-0, both wins coming by a combined 3 points, and take on rival USC next week on the road.

View user profile

2 Nice on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:17 am

Nice win. Cal is off to a good start in 2012. Seems like the defense did a much better job than in game one

2013 Record: #8 1-1 (0-0)
2012 ACC Champions

View user profile http://bcsnationalchamps.forumotion.com

3 Re: Exciting Game in Berkley on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 am

A ton better. We didn't give up many big plays and nothing like against Penn State where we gave up 60+ yard plays.

It was a nailbiter through and through. Davis is a good opponent and neither one of us truly ever had a hold of the game. Likely he wins if not for the interception.

View user profile

4 Re: Exciting Game in Berkley on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 pm

This was a great game (other than coming up one point short)...

Interception was the turning point and definitely something the Boilermakers need to work on.

After the Cal TD to go up 14-13, Purdue struggled to move the ball the right direction. Sack, broken screen, sack. It was 4th and 26 or so with 4 min left and I chose to punt and rely on defense. Never got the ball back...Good luck keeping a perfect season going.

Maybe you will get the job at Ohio State and I at Michigan. Then we can get a real rivalry going...

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum