Road to the National Championship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Road to the National Championship

Who Will Survive and Win It All?

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Put up or Shut up Weekend" - #8 UCLA @ #14 Cal

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Elixor1987

Elixor1987
Admin

In the weekend dubbed by the game "Put up or Shut up" because of the all the ranked games, Texas A&M and Ok St, UCLA and Cal, GA and Fla, Wisconsin and Ohio St, and so on...this will probably be the most decisive weekend of the season as most team's entire season could be decided.

UCLA came into Memorial Stadium with the #8 ranking in the nation and an undefeated record - 6-0 (4-0), they would leave with a loss in each. Coach B said last week that this would be part 1 of the conference championship, and it provided exactly that. Both teams came out swinging and for the first quarter and a half, both teams matched TDs with their own.

After Bridgford's only INT of the game set up a UCLA FG that gave them a slim 1 point lead, Cal's defense came alive, forcing a couple of 3 and outs and 2 fumbles in the final 2 mins of the first half. After the UCLA FG, Cal drove the field but was stopped short and was forced to kick their first FG of the day. On UCLA's next possession, the defense forced the first fumble on a sack of UCLA QB K.Prince which would lead to another Cal FG. The following possession for UCLA didn't help either as Cal's defense forced the 2nd fumble of the day and this time returned it for the easy TD. Another 3 and out for UCLA would set up Cal's perfect 2 min drill as Bridgford and Co. would drive the field after the punt and throw a 10yd TD with 14sec on the clock.

UCLA's second half started just as the first had ended. After a touchback on the opening kick, Coleman's 20yd run would be called back on a holding call putting UCLA on it's own 15. Then the defense went aggressive; first play following the holding Cal's defense stopped Coleman for a 5yd loss, second play was a perfect call for Cal's defense as they blitzed as UCLA attempted a screen pass and sacked K.Prince in the endzone for a safety. Cal's offense fired on all cylinders all day as they racked up 484yds of total offense, most importantly without RB S.Vereen who was injured on the first play from scrimmage. UCLA's only offense in the second half would be 2 KO returns for TDs.

When we caught up with an elated Coach B after the game, he had a few words to say, "I'm extremely proud of our team after today, throughout the first part of the season we had little offense and at times it seemed as though little defense to go with it. But today, we had both. Our defense got burned early by Coleman, but we changed strategies and held him to only 118yds after giving up TD runs of 75 and 40 early in the 1st qrt. The main reason for our success today was Bridgford, he played like the phenom I thought he was and had an amazing day."

Part 2 of Coach B's deemed "conference championship" continues next week as Cal takes on rival USC in LA. Until then...happy hunting.

Scoreline:
Teams: 1st2nd3rd4thFinal
UCLA: 1397736
Cal: 212016663

POTG:
Cal: QB A.Bridgford 29-39, 370yds, 6 TDs, INT
UCLA: RB D.Coleman 13car, 118yds, 2 TDs

SonOfSithis5411

SonOfSithis5411

Nice decisive win

Elixor1987

Elixor1987
Admin

I still have USC to deal with next week...they killed me/ I killed myself last year against them. But after them, if I beat them, the conference hardware should be mine. I think I only have 2 or 3 more teams with winning records, my last 3 games at this point are winless or only 1 win.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum