Road to the National Championship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Road to the National Championship

Who Will Survive and Win It All?

You are not connected. Please login or register

Boston College vs Akron

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Boston College vs Akron Empty Boston College vs Akron Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:13 am

King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11
Admin

Boston College vs Akron BCvsAkron

Boston College Survives Scare from Lowly Akron

Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts-- Boston College has proven to be a pretty good team through the first three weeks of the college football season, but I don't think anybody is ready to call them great. They are good but certainly not good enough to overlook any opponent on their schedule and that included their worst opponent on paper in 2011, the now 0-4 Akron Zips. BC came into the game seemingly half interested and barely woke up in time to avoid a colossal disaster at home.

The Akron Zips would dominate the first half of the ball game, at least on the scoreboard if not overall. BC looked decent on offense as they moved the ball well a couple of times, but a missed field goal and stalled drives just past midfield hurt the Eagle's plans. They had some good opportunities but key drops, inaccurate throws, and missed assignments led to 0 first half points for the first time all season. Akron didn't look overpowering on offense but a 40 yard catch and run gave them their first TD and a lack of Eagle effort gave them a 80 yard TD run with under a minute to go in the half. With those two big plays and a lack of anything from BC, their was an worry in the air as the Zips held a 14-0 lead at half.

Coach Petersen ripped his team at half time hoping to inject some life into his team. There was still plenty of time left in the game but the Eagles had to play better in the second half. It seemed like the speech at the break had worked because Bobby Swigert returned the opening kick of the half for a touchdown and BC's first points cutting the lead in half. The return made the place erupt, it was a moment that had been waiting for all game. Suddenly it seemed like BC was interested in the game and they would recover with a strong second half.

Swigert Takes Back the Kick for the First BC Special Teams TD of the Year

An energized BC defense took the field confident they would get a quick stop and get the ball back to their offense. On the first play it seemed the Eagles would be in business when FS Jim Noel broke on a quick hitch route perfectly and was in position to make the INT, but the ball bounced right off his hands and gave Akron another opportunity. On the next play Akron would take advantage of the extra chance. QB Moore fired a pass to the left and the BC defender was in position to make the play but whiffed on the tackle and there was no catching WR Meriwether as he raced down the sideline for the 76 yard TD. BC would prove their worth as the marched down the field and Montel Harris would cap off the drive with a 6 yard TD run cutting the lead to 21-14.

Boston College vs Akron Pic1-3
Harris Ran Hard from Start to Finish Against the Zips

Akron would get the ball and come back down the field but could only manage a field goal. The Eagles would answer field goal with a Freese field goal to keep the game at a one score lead. From that point on BC's offense would revert back to its first half form. They had opportunities but mistakes came at the most crucial points in the game. BC was still trailing by 7 when the were in business with two minutes left in the game. Rettig fired a pass to Larmond who made a nice move and was met by an Akron defender inside the five. The Zips defender stripped the ball from Larmond and Akron quickly pounced on the loose ball. Suddenly things looked bleak for the Eagles, but a huge stop by the defense gave them the ball back at their own 40 with just over a minute to go needing a touchdown. Sticking to their gameplan BC quickly got into the redzone and Harris finished it with his second TD of the game with 14 seconds to go sending the game to OT and keeping the Eagles' hope alive.

Akron got the ball first in the overtime. The first play saw another opportunity go through the Eagles' grasp as a sure interception was dropped as the Akron QB forced the ball into triple coverage. Again it looked like the missed opportunity would haunt Boston College when on the next play Akron got inside the 10 yard line. The BC defense would step up however and hold the Zips to a field goal giving them a 27-24 lead. On the first play of the BC possession, TE Pantale, who had another huge game, ran a wheel route and came wide open. Rettig would hit him and Pantale ran toward the endzone before being pulled down at the 1 yard line.

Pantale Proves Clutch for the Eagles

BC would waste no time as on the next play Harris plowed his way in for the touchdown giving the Eagles the victory. BC survived a huge scare from an upset minded MAC team, but lives to fight another day. Coach Petersen was extremely upset with his team's effort after the game and said, "this is going to be the toughest week of practice in our players lives! We are going to find out who wants it and who doesn't!" With the narrow win Boston College improves to 4-0 and 2-0 at home. Next week they will be home again as the return to ACC play against the Wake Forest Deamon Deacons. Final: 30-27 (OT)

Stats
C. Rettig: 18-35, 258 Yards
M. Harris: 24 Car, 112 Yards, 3 TDs
C. Pantale: 6 Rec, 149 Yards

https://bcsnationalchamps.forumotion.com

2Boston College vs Akron Empty Re: Boston College vs Akron Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:25 am

TheWhiteKnightGT

TheWhiteKnightGT

WOW! Almost a devastating slip up! haha i did not see that coming when i entered the article! o well tho, a wins a win and ur still in the NC hunt!

3Boston College vs Akron Empty Re: Boston College vs Akron Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:17 am

Texasfight33

Texasfight33

TheWhiteKnightGT wrote:WOW! Almost a devastating slip up! haha i did not see that coming when i entered the article! o well tho, a wins a win and ur still in the NC hunt!
I wish he had lost just so he wouldnt have been able to win the NC

4Boston College vs Akron Empty Re: Boston College vs Akron Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:31 am

Rowbo73

Rowbo73

Wow...this would have been a shocking loss almost akin to the win App. State had against Michigan a few years back. Glad you squeaked out a win cause I want you to be undefeated when we play our conference game!

5Boston College vs Akron Empty Re: Boston College vs Akron Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:12 pm

King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11
Admin

Rowbo73 wrote:Wow...this would have been a shocking loss almost akin to the win App. State had against Michigan a few years back. Glad you squeaked out a win cause I want you to be undefeated when we play our conference game!

I try to avoid thinking about that cause that's when I get into trouble lol. Gotta take one game at a time

6Boston College vs Akron Empty Re: Boston College vs Akron Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

turner46

turner46

Nice win, how do you get pictures and videos here? Ive done it with madden saving it then putting it on ea site then like posting ea link in the recap to show video, is it similar?

7Boston College vs Akron Empty Re: Boston College vs Akron Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:51 pm

King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11
Admin

turner46 wrote:Nice win, how do you get pictures and videos here? Ive done it with madden saving it then putting it on ea site then like posting ea link in the recap to show video, is it similar?

Yep, it's the exact same. Just upload them to ea sports once you have exited the game and then retrieve them there. The only other thing is I have to host them at another source before they will go here. For pictures i use photobucket and for videos I use dailymotion, but I think you could use youtube as well. It takes some time at first but once you have done it a bunch of times you start to get pretty quick at it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum