Road to the National Championship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Road to the National Championship

Who Will Survive and Win It All?

You are not connected. Please login or register

Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 am

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central 106303591985
2011-2012:

Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Arizonarecruitingclass

Last edited by RJAfan6 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:01 am; edited 5 times in total

2Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:21 pm

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

Commits:

Week 9:
Jeff Carter- OT(#59) 6'3 283lbs - Arcadia, CA
Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central AUGIE-CONTE_150_7_13
Carter is your typical Pac 10 tackle. Decent height, decent size and quick on his feet. Stanford nibbled at Carter as did Nevada, but only Arizona offered him. Depending on how camp goes for this kid, he may be looking at five years in red and blue.
Bench Max: 400lbs
Squat: 500lbs

3Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:33 pm

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

Commits:

Week 10:
Leslie Johnson - MLB(#95) - 6'1 235lbs - Sierra Vista, AZ
Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central 125520971
Johnson is fairly fast for a MLB, with his 40 time at 4.58. Dont let his speed fool you though as he benches up over 400lbs and squats about 520lbs. However, his tackling and coverage skills are questioned by college scouts. He was virtually a ghost town to FBS teams and Arizona was the only D1-A school to offer him, while receiving offers from Northern Arizona and Sacramento State.
Bench Max: 400lbs
Squat: 520lbs

4Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:01 pm

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

Week 11
According to sources, Arizona has lost out on several touted wide receiver recruits this past week. The most notable of the two was Calvin Woods. Woods an in state recruit from Sedona, AZ is ranked the 24th best wide reciever by ESPN, and 19th best by Scout.com. He verbally commited to the University of Stanford, citing "play time" as his deciding factor. He had 3 offers, from Stanford, Arizona, and BYU.

The second is Kyle Tillman. The Wildcats lost him to conference foe, Oregon State. Ranked the 46th best wideout by ESPN, he chose the Beavers because he sees more of a chance to play early on rather than at the wide receiver deep Arizona. Tillman was in Tuscon this past week on his official visit to watch the Wildcats play Utah, and after watching them get schalacked by the Utes, it was enough for him make a decision.

Also on a visit this past week was T.J. Harrison from Hacienda Heights, CA. A 3* star MLB recruit has only on offer, that being from the Wildcats. "The only schools really looking at me are Cal and 'Zona, so well see where it goes from there" said Harrison. He is as big as some NFL linebackers, standing at 6'4 241lbs, however some scouts cite his lacking coverage ability as to why more schools arent biting on him.

In other news, if you read Tom Luginill's(ESPN) blog this past week, he stated that Arizona is recruiting heavily on the defensive side of the ball. Arizona is currently ranked 108th in the country on defense, though not worst in the conference. They are, however, worst in the country on scoring defense while giving up 312 points so far this season; the only team to eclipse the 300 point mark at this point. They have surrendered 30+ points in 7 of their 9 games.

With only 2 commits so far, Arizona has the fewest in the Pac12. It has some alumni questioning coach Steve Janik's ability to motivate players.

5Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:59 pm

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

Week 12:
Lamar Bailey - CB(#173) - 5'10 181lbs - Diamond Bar, CA
Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central 943883
The Arizona Wildcats picked up their third commit from the 2012 class. This past week they received a commit from defensive back Lamar Bailey. Bailey is from Diamond Var, CA. This is the Wildcats second commit on the defensive side of the ball, joining Leslie Johnson, and their second from California.

Bailey has flown low, very low under scouts radars. Due to his less than normal 40 time for a defensive back (4.52) and his problems keeping up with receivers while in man, scared most D1 coaches away. Most of his strength is in his upper body as he can only squat his body weight at 180lbs. However, he has shown brightness in his catching ability, which has many to believe that wherever he ended up, the coaching staff would put him on the offensive side of the ball as a scat back or slot reciever. But for now, hes being recruited as a corner back. This is an interesting pick up for the Wildcats, but we must not know something coach Janik does.

6Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:14 pm

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

Week 13

Commits:
Jason Robinson - DE(#187) - 6'5 224lbs - Peoria, AZ
Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central 7_155485
A 2* prospect(Scout.com), Robinson hails from Peoria, AZ. His size is very promising, as it seems he will be able to put on at least 10-15 more pounds before the fall. His skills however, might need some working. You cant teach speed, and this kid proves it with a4.92 40 yard. His strength is so-so as well, as he ranks in the lower 30% of his class in bench press(360lbs) and squat(435lbs). He also had an offer from UNLV. Some scouts were impressed with his quickness off the line but from there its all uphill. They also noted his ability to lay a licking to the ball carrier, but he has to be able to tackle them first. The seems to be a sure redshirt for coach Janik, and he may not play till his senior year.

Kevin Gilmore - HB(#34) - 6'0 202lbs - Azusa, CA
Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central 938469
Gilmore is ranked a 3* by all the major recruiting services. He's rated the 8th best prospect out of the state of California, in a weak class from the state. Scouts seem to like his quick burst, although he is not scaringly fast(4.48) along with his shiftiness in the open field. However, it seems he has a little touble holding onto the ball. He didnt really come onto the scene until mid way through the year and thats when Arizona jumped on him. He rushed for over 1100yds and 11 touchdowns this past season. He will most likely redshirt as the Wildcats will have 5 other upperclassmen running backs on the roster.

7Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Texasfight33

Texasfight33

i always love reading your recruiting stuff! good work

8Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:34 pm

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

Texasfight33 wrote:i always love reading your recruiting stuff! good work

hey thanks man. Im working on becoming a sports journalist, so i pretty much take seriously everything that involves sports writing.

9Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Texasfight33

Texasfight33

RJAfan6 wrote:

hey thanks man. Im working on becoming a sports journalist, so i pretty much take seriously everything that involves sports writing.

good choice! this is all really good man

10Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:59 pm

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

thanks!

11Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:04 pm

turner46

turner46

Texasfight33 wrote:
RJAfan6 wrote:

I agree, well done and best of luck on becoming a sports journalist, that would be a great career

12Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:00 pm

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

turner46 wrote:
Texasfight33 wrote:
RJAfan6 wrote:

I agree, well done and best of luck on becoming a sports journalist, that would be a great career
Thanks, i suck at regular writing, but when it comes to sports writing...look out haha

13Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:53 am

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

updated OP with recruiting class. Expect a full press interview with coach steve janik coming up.

14Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:43 am

RJAfan6

RJAfan6

Coach Steve Janik Press Conference - Signing Day

Janik: Alright, ill a few questions here in a little. First off I just wanna say that this past year, was entirely my fault. I didn't run this team, how it should have been run. I am grateful for the Atheltic Department to see that I was still fit to run the program. As some of you may know, going 3-9 isn't something write home to mother about. It also isn't very easy recruit with either. Our coaches here, only want the best for these kids. So therefore that means we have to work our tails off to get the best talent we can, so that way we can win. With this class that we have assembled this year, we are making a step in the right direction. Not to knock the kids we have signed, cuz we we got some signatures from some very, very solid players. They all need tuning. But we'll let our strength and and conditioning program take care of that.

Now ill open it up to some questions...

Reporter: Coach! You often said last year that the defense was the reason you guys struggled so much, how did you address that in recruiting?

Janik: First of all, last year was as big of a failure as ive ever been a part of, and 95% of that is on me. Yes our defense did struggle last year, and thats was with several of the best players in the league on this team too. Obviosuly it's not easy to lose them, but me and Tim(Kish, DC) went out and we think we found the linebacking core of the future here at Arizona. Theyve signed already so I can say theyre names. Steven Poland and David Horton are 2 kids that are going to come in and compete for time right away. They play hard nosed and thats what we want here with our linebackers, ones that want the football. Another one is TJ Harrison, hes a middle backer, hes one of our better recruits in the class. His speed at the position is second to only our starter Kyle Benson. We also lost some very good defensive backs last year to graduation. They are going to be tough to replace, and we didn't get everyone we had hope to here but we did pick up a solid safety in Lawrence White. Hell more than likely redshirt to put on some muscle and build some speed. Our other dback recruit, Lamar Bailey, hes gonna play some corner for us in the future. Again, all these kids are going to be put to the test with our strength and conditioning program, and hopefully they are up for the challenge. We also pulled in a couple of solid d-ends. They're bigger guys, so not exactly the speedy guys were used to having here, but in the long run they will work out just fine.

Reporter: With some uncertainty at the quarterback position last year, and now that both seniors are gone, can you name a starter at this point?

Janik: Well, we never really had "uncertainty" per say, but we just had inconsistency. Nick did some very good things last year. He just found himself in some unfavoring situations, and didnt always make the right decisons. But at this point, I cant name a starter. We'll see when spring ball comes. Me and Seth(Littrell, OC) both agreed that with the way last year went, and with the kids we've brought in...maybe a change up of the offense in store. We're going to look long and hard about this before spring ball. We brought in a faster kid then were used to, Randall(Hawkins) is a little bit ahead of our other 2 quarterback recruits but we arent sure how he will adjust to our offense change. Time will tell i guess. Last question, i have some family business to take care of.

Reporter: Do you think that you guys are a step behind the rest of the conference in regards to preperation and execution? If so, do you think these freshman will help the overall performance?

Janik: Oo, big fancy words guy(chuckles). No, but to be completely honest, yes I do. Like I said, I don't think me and the coaching staff, mostly me, did everything we could last year to get this team where they need to be. Greg(Byrne, AD) and me sat down and he said that the team is only going to be as good as we can coach them, and hes 150% rught. I'm not just saying that becuase I have to. If the guys see me and the coaches dickin around, they are going to dick around. We arent going to have that anymore. I think some of these freshman can make an impact. Whether its in 2012 or 2016, it's just about how much they want it. We are going to be where we need to be for sure. If theres one thing I can promise this year, it's that. We may not win the conference, and I may get canned next year, but I know that my guys went down fighting. Thats all guys thanks for coming out.

Below is attached the complete signing list.

15Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Empty Re: Arizona Wildcat Recruiting Central Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:17 pm

King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11
Admin

RJAfan6 wrote:

That's an awesome table! Looks like you have some guys you can work with in the future.

https://bcsnationalchamps.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum