Road to the National Championship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Road to the National Championship

Who Will Survive and Win It All?

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Empty Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:56 am

Xenocide78

Xenocide78

Newly appointed head coach, Coach Quinlan, would lead the Bears onto the field against in-state rival USC as his first game at the helm. Cal was picked by many to be a significant underdog in this matchup as they had already dropped three games on the season, including blowout losses to Fresno State and Oregon. It was evident from the start of this game that the defensive-minded coach had already made some impact on his players as the Golden Bears would come out and stifle the offensive efforts of USC and QB Matt Barkley.

As good as the defense was all game; their counterpart on offense did not look nearly as polished as anticipated. One can expect things to look shaky after a mid-season coaching change but QB Zach Maynard struggled with reading the USC defense today as he would throw 2 interceptions on the day in contrast to 1 touchdown. Despite Maynard’s shaky performance, the Bears would still accumulate over 350 yards of total offense and displayed the capability to take advantage of the USC defense in both the running and passing game when needed.

After getting a feel for each other and ending the first quarter with no scoring, Cal would strike first as HB Isi Sofele would punch it into the end zone from 1 yard out to put the Bears up 7-0. However, Barkley would lead the Trojans down the field to score in only 1:20 seconds. During the PAT attempt, the Cal defense would break through and block the kick, but the USC kicker would find the ball and trot into the end zone in a bizarre turn of events to put USC up 8-7. Feeling a bit dismayed, Coach Quinlan opted to have Maynard take a couple shots downfield knowing they were receiving the ball at the start of the second half. After dropping back, Maynard would see broken coverage down the right sideline and find WR Keenan Allen wide open as he would take it to the house on a 64-yard reception. Cal would head into the half with a 14-8 lead.

After a time consuming drive ended in a missed field goal to start the third, USC would find themselves with the ball only down by 6. Barkley would engineer another fantastic drive that would ultimately be stifled by the Cal defense forcing the Trojans to settle for 3 and cut the lead to 14-11. The Bears would take the ensuing possession and have a quick 3-and-out to give the ball back to Barkley and Trojan offense. USC would waste no time and HB Curtis McNeal would take one to pay dirt from 31 yards out to put the Trojans back on top 17-14. Another amazing special team’s play would keep Cal close, as the Bears would once again block the PAT but this time would pick it up and return it for 2 points to cut the lead to 17-16, which is the score we would head into the fourth quarter with.

Maynard would try time and again to lead scoring drives for the Bear’s offense but was unable to reach the end zone on numerous occasions and often were outside the range of the kicker. So the pressure fell on the defense and many wondered whether the changes Coach Quinlan brought in would really be seen. The Bear defense couldn’t have done much more than they did as they continuously kept the Trojans at bay and gave the offense the opportunity to seal the game. On Cal’s final possession, the Bears would methodically drive down the field, after blowing all their timeouts previously to stop the USC offense. Maynard would have his sharpest performance of the day as he continually hit wide outs in stride and they were able to get out of bounds. With about 4 seconds left, Maynard would spike the ball at the USC 1-yard line to give the Bears a shot to win the game. All the pressure would now fall on the shoulders of K Giorgio Tavecchio, who had already missed 2 other field goals throughout the game. But he would not miss this one as ball would split the uprights leaving no time on the clock and securing the win for Cal.

There is not a much better way to begin a coaching career then a win over your rival. Coach Quinlan has shown that he is going to have this team ready for any challenges that come their way, but with such a late arrival, will he be able to turn around the Cal season? Will the players continue to buy into the things the coaching staff is teaching them? Great game to all the Golden Bear players and good luck next week against the Utah Utes!

My first write-up in this dynasty hope you all enjoy.

2Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Empty Re: Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:49 am

King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11
Admin

Nice write up and good win. Man those two blocked kicks sound crazy! I've never even blocked a kick and you blocked two in one game lol

https://bcsnationalchamps.forumotion.com

3Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Empty Re: Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:02 am

Xenocide78

Xenocide78

I am what many would call a sports nut King. Even when I don't have a dynasty game to play I will either play an offline dynasty or just mess around in practice. NCAA hasn't come out of my PS3 in about 3 months if not longer because it's all I play. I can't get enough football so I've gradually learned the little tendencies of the CPU that allow me to get lucky every now and then, plus my CB who played my edge player on the blocks was extremely fast. Those kicks saved me. It was a fun game though.

I've never played with slider adjustments and it made the game so much more fun. I need to figure out how to slow down my defense when it comes to hitting the QB though as I got called for 3 roughing the passer penalties and USC got 1

4Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Empty Re: Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:29 am

Texasfight33

Texasfight33

Great write up slash win! I can't wait till the cal ucla game:) it should be a great one

5Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Empty Re: Cal Kicks Their Way to Victory Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 am

Xenocide78

Xenocide78

Me too, I love user games. Especially if it is a nail-biter one, just makes that much more fun and entertaining.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum