Road to the National Championship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Road to the National Championship

Who Will Survive and Win It All?

You are not connected. Please login or register

#3 NC STATE - 28 vs #18 Virginia Tech - 21

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Rowbo73

Rowbo73

***ACC CHAMPIONSHIP***

The ACC Championship kicked off earlier today under clear skies and a rather day with wind gusts of up to 4mph blowing and swirling around the stadium.

The NC State Wolfpack came into the game looking for an ACC championship and an automatic BSC Bowl berth into most likely the Orange Bowl. For the 18th ranked Hokies it was a game they wanted to win for the championship of course but to also improve on a season that had far exceeded pre-season expectations.

The Wolfpack came out in this one looking for their fans to really be a part of the game but it was the Hokies who stormed out of the gate and took the home crowd out of things early scoring two 1st quarter Tds. The first on a lovely 22 yards pass from Thomas to Roberts and the second on a 1 yard pass from Thomas to Boykin.

VT-14 NC State-0

The defense had no answers early on for the VT running game or their passing game as it didn't matter what Coach Rowe called the Hokies seemed to always find the open field or lanes and the score showed it. Down but certainly not out of things, the Wolfpack bore down and right at the end of the 1st quarter were able to score on a sweet screen pass from Glennon to Greene for 48 yards. It was a seesaw battle for the second quarter as finally the Wolfpack D were able to pick up a rhythm on what the VT offense was trying to do and they were able to put some stops together. However, VT was also finding success stopping NC State and it seemed as though it would come down to who would make the first big mistake of the game that would either break the game open or keep it close.

That mistake came towards the end of the half when NC State jumped on VT fumble and found themselves down in the red zone with a 4th a goal to go situation. Coach Rowe could have kicked the FG to bring the game to within 4 points but instead elected to go for it and the TE Bryan caught a 10 yard pass from Glennon to tie the game at 14 heading into halftime. When asked why he made that decision Coach Rowe said "I knew we had the ball first after the half so if we failed to get the TD then we would just have to get it after the break...but as it turned out we didn't need to do that as I look like a genius cause it worked!"

After the break, the teams came out determined to come out victorious and on the ensuing Kick off, Graham took the return all the way back for the go ahead TD...but wait...HOLDING!! The ball was brought back and the Wolfpack had to regroup and proceeded to march down the field but were hampered in some big gains by 2 more holding calls. Eventually the Wolfpack would have to settle on a FG try but with the wind swirling a normally easy chip shot started at the middle off the uprights and then veered to the right sharply and missed wide right! later in the 3rd quarter the kicker would get another shot at the FG to put NC State up by 3 but this time he hit the right bar and again missed the FG. No scoring happened in the 3rd quarter thus the game remained 14-14 going in to the final quarter with the ACC championship on the line as well as the BSC berth.

In the fourth quarter the Wolfpack after a pep-talk from their coach stepped up and took control by going back to basics and running the ball. One of those runs was by Greene who got some great blocking en route to a 14 yard TD run to give the Wolfpack their first lead of the afternoon at 21-14. A three and out and punt later by VT, the Pack were back on Offense and this time Glennon found Greene for a 76 yard TD strike that gave NC State a big 14 point lead and momentum as the crowd were fully back into the game and sensing a huge win for the Wolfpack...but hold the phone!! The Hokies would not go down quietly as with just over a minute left in the game Thomas hooked up with Knowles for a 23 yard TD strike that brought the Hokies to within a TD at 28-21. With only one timeout by the Hokies it all came down to the onside kick...a recovery by NC State and this would all be over. BUT...VT recovered the onside kick and it was gameon for the Hokies. Luckily they got bogged down with short passes that were stopped right away and the Pack D came up with a few sacks including one to end the game which sent the home team and crowd into a frenzy as the stands emptied and fireworks exploded signalling the end of the game and the victory for the NC STATE WOLFPACK!!

The ACC Champions for 2011 are the NC STATE WOLFPACK

They will next look to win the Orange Bowl in the new year and then look towards defending the conference crown next year!

turner46

turner46

Congrats, Nice comeback after being down 14. Who knows maybe no Championship Game for Oklahoma may vault you into #2.

Rowbo73

Rowbo73

turner46 wrote:Congrats, Nice comeback after being down 14. Who knows maybe no Championship Game for Oklahoma may vault you into #2.

Dude the Hokies came out on fire...I was crapping my pants trying to stop them and then try to mount a counter offensive. Then I go and miss 2 easy FGs...I thought for sure it was an omen. Then I go up by 14 then down to 7 and they recover the onside kick...this was a hard win...I felt afterwards that I had just worked a full day!! LOL...it was a good win but I can't compete with 2 12-0 seasons...two best teams are you and OKLAHOMA so it will be a good matchup! I am happy to be playing the Orange Bowl. Good luck in the NC and beat the Sooners!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum